Thursday, September 10, 2009

7-11 Chicken (ish) Tetrazzine

Sounds disgusting, right? Well in my line of work, I often cook dinner for the family in addition to taking care of their small children and yesterday the request was chicken tetrazzine. Which I made, to the letter I might add, having never made it before out of their lovely Casserole cookbook. But then I got off work at 5:30 and I was hungry for...you guessed it. So I stopped by the 7-11 at my bus stop (too lazy to make an extra trek to Trader Joes on the other end) and purchased one quart of milk, one can of condensed chicken noodle soup, and one pound of spagghetti noodles. After adding fresh farmers market zucchini, eggplant, onions, garlic and parmesan cheese my recipe most definitely turned out better than the one I made for my bosses...so here it is:

Veggie (but not vegetarian) tetrazzine:

1-2 c. chopped vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, squash, mushrooms)
1 small or 1/2 medium white or yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic
4 T butter
about 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. milk or half and half
1 can condensed chicken noodle soup (or equivilent amount, about a cup of broth)
1/2 c. + shredded parmesan cheese
8 oz spagghetti (cooked and drained)
salt, pepper to taste
**Preheat oven to 350**
1. Sauté onions, garlic and vegetables in 2T (or more if you like) butter until vegetables are tender.
2. scoop them out and reserve for later
3. melt the remaining 2T butter in the vegetable pan and sprinkle in the flour to form a roux.
4. Add the broth, milk, salt, pepper, and parmesan and whisk until smooth and thick
5. mix the noodles and vegetables into the sauce and put the whole mess into a 9x13" casserole pan.
6. bake, covered, about 30 minutes
7. uncover, top with more parmesan and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until bubbly and golden.
8. try not to burn your mouth eating it straight out of the pan!

No comments: